Popular movies are not necessarily good, and it goes the other way around. But, the general idea is if a film is good, it will become popular as a result of the buzz surrounding it.

It will become classic and people will talk about it even decades after. But sometimes great movies end up being forgotten.

That's especially true in this age when kids view as outdated anything that's longer than 2 minutes and older than a year. There are films that some people regard to be the best they have ever watched, while others have never heard of them.

It's a shame that more people aren't aware of fantastic films with unique plotlines and excellent acting, but Reddit user darkweirdvalley is likely to alter that. They asked: “What’s a movie you love that you swear no one ever talks about like the world has forgotten it?”

More than 35k people joined the thread to contribute what they consider to be cinematic classics that more people should be aware of, as well as to connect with others who share their interests. It's reasonable to say that the films they mentioned haven't been forgotten, and they've finally found someone with whom they can discuss them.

1. The Birdcage (1996)

The Birdcage is comedy royalty in my mind. I mean, Robin Williams, Nathan Lane, Diane Weist, Gene Hackman, Calista Flockhart, Christine Baranski and Hank Azaria!

Everyone played their roles to perfection, either over the top yet endearing, or the straight man role that facilitated the comedy.

2 The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980)

3. Death Becomes Her (1992)

Death becomes her.
My all time fav movie, amazing cast and plot but I have never found a single soul who would praise it with me :/

4. A Fish Called Wanda (1988)

A Fish Called Wanda. I don't know anyone IRL, under the age of 40, that knows this movie! It's one of the funniest movies ever. My favorite Kevin Kline movie, hand down!

5. Constantine (2005)

Constantine with Keanu Reeves and Rachel Weiss. Love that movie, but no one ever seems to know what I’m talking about.

6. Batteries Not Included (1987)

It's a cute little 80s movie about some alien robots who took up residence in this old apartment complex and when the residents are threatened with eviction so the place could be torn down, the robots help the tenants and the tenants help the robot aliens. Anyways, I enjoyed it.

7. Pleasantville (1998)

8. Short Circuit (1987)

Short Circuit, literally everyone that I talk to has never watched it or heard of it. It's sad too because I love that movie so much.

9. The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

"Does your dog bite?"
"No"
(dog snarls and bites him)
"I thought you said your dog doesn't bite?"
"That is not my dog"

10. Grosse Point Blank (1997)

Grosse Point Blank. Hitman goes to a high school reunion.

11. Secondhand Lions (2003)

12. Flight Of The Navigator (1986)

13. Ladyhawk (1985)

A great 1980s sword and sorcery movie.

OVS2

14. Stardust (2007)

Who would've thought Tristan would turn out to be such a great Daredevil?

15. Secret Garden (1993)

Funny story with this one. I studied the book at school, so I had read the book a lot. That year for my birthday the movie came out around the same time.
I have a fractured family structure so none of them really talk to each other. For some reason nearly every family member decided that they wanted to take me to a screening of the film.
So I saw the film nearly 7 times in the matter of two weeks. My grandma was one of the last, I didn’t have the heart to tell her I had already seen it 6 times already.
We were sitting and watching and unintentionally, I was saying the lines word for word. My grandma noticed and she asked “have you seen this already?”
I responded “no, it’s just very accurate to the book” to which she replied “wow, you must have read the book many times.

16. Enemy Mine (1985)

The end scene still gets me.

17. So I Married An Ax Murderer (1993)

18. Drop Dead Fred (1991)

Drop Dead Fred "That's not how the pigeons do it!!" "Cobwebs" Absolutely fell in love with Rik Myall from the very first time I saw that movie!!

Dragonfruit_Silver

20. Evolution (2001)

Evolution, by the late Ivan Reitman, with David Duchovny and Julianne Moore.

21. The Great Mouse Detective (1986)

21. Robots (2005)

Aside from one instance on Reddit, I’ve never heard a single person talk about the 2005 movie Robots. It’s got adult jokes that kids won’t catch, a lot of humor, and Robin Williams.

22. Mystery Men (1999)

I like reminding people that All Star is from that movie originally, and not Shrek.

23. Mouse Hunt (1997)

Nathan Lane, Lee Evans, Christopher Walken in one of his best roles
One of my childhood favorites

25. Fly Away Home (1996)

Fly Away Home. Was obsessed with it and it is never mentioned. Was it a fever dream???

25. Balto (1995)

Balto! Which I could have sworn was massively popular!! When people started talking about The Swan Princess again randomly, I assumed Balto would be next as they were two of my favorites as a kid.
Yet when I mentioned it to my friends and such, no one recalled it. Also please let me mention the 10th Kingdom which is technically a series! Ah suck an elf.

28. Thank You For Smoking (2005)

Thank You for Smoking. And the irony of the whole film is nobody actually smokes a cigarette as well. I always loved that small detail.
Although there are deleted scenes of them smoking but thankfully they decided to keep them out of the theatrical release.

29. 9 (2009)

“9” directed by Shane Acker, produced by Tim Burton.

I thought it was amazing, but the only time k bring it up, 90% of people have never heard of it, the other 10% hate it.

It sucks, but I’m convinced I’m the only fan of that movie. It was so different and dark. And the cast was amazing, it was a fantastic adult animated tale.

It just sucks no one is ever able to fan boy over it with me.

Demiscio8